Google Ads is a tool that allows you to place ads on Google search engine and on partner sites. By using ads in Google Ads, you can achieve better sales results and attract more customers.
Correctly setting up an advertising campaign will save you money and only reach interested people with your ad. In this article, we’ll show you how to create an advertising campaign in Google Ads (formerly Google AdWords).
How does advertising in Google Ads work?
The mechanism related to Google Ads advertising is to display your advertisement to interested customers when they search for something in Google search engine.
For example, when a user types a keyword into Google, such as running shoes, they are shown relevant search results. What page is at the top of these results is the result of implementing another campaign, i.e. search engine optimization.
However, at the very top of these results, there is a section with sponsored offers. There are links to sites that run an effective Google AdWords campaign.
Because the first place is most often clicked by users, it is these offers that have the greatest chance of attracting customers.
What if my competition has the same ad?
If there is more interest in advertising on the same keyword, then Google Ads must bid. The first place will be the offer that has the higher click fee limit.
Of course, this is not the only determinant and the search engine takes into account the quality of the ad, keyword matching and many other mechanisms.What business can run without ads?
That is why it is so important to professionally run an advertising campaign. This will save you money and get better results.
How much does advertising in Google Ads cost?
You need to know that online advertising is the cheapest form of advertising and at the same time is very effective. The cost of clicking your ad depends on many factors.
First of all from the competition. If there are many eager advertisers for the same phrase, the cost will be higher. And of course, if the phrase is not very popular then the cost of displaying the ad will be lower.
That is why it is so important to set up an advertising campaign well and constantly check its results. You don’t want to waste money on advertising that doesn’t work.
Google Ads campaign billing models
In Google Ads ads you can set different methods of billing for created ads. What will be the best for you depends on several factors that you need to determine when preparing your advertising campaign.
Google Adwords offers several models for accounting for campaigns:
- CPC (cost per click) – Your ad display is free. You pay only when the user clicks on your ad and goes to the website. This is the most popular way of accounting.
- eCPC (Enhanced CPC) – this model is similar to the previous one, but here additionally the algorithms decide on the upper limit of the click rate in order to maximize the number of conversions.
- CPM (cost per mile) – in this model you pay not per click, but for display. This model is used in campaigns aimed at building the company’s brand visibility and awareness. Billing occurs for every 1000 views.
- CPV (cost per view) – this model is intended for video ads. The fee is charged when the user views a minimum of 30 sec of your advertisement.
- ROAS (return on ad spend) – intelligent bidding system. The Google Ads algorithm automatically adjusts the maximum cost-per-click to get the target ROAS we specify.
- CPA (cost per action) – an intelligent system for setting maximum rates per click to maximize conversions. Based on the declared maximum conversion rate.
Benefits of Google Ads. Be ahead of your competition!
Investing in an Ads campaign has many benefits. What? First of all, this solution is extremely effective and allows you to reach specific recipients.
In addition, the assumption of this type of advertising on the web is also to be very universal, because it can serve both the owners of small, local shops, beauty salons, etc., as well as large corporations or manufacturing plants.
Google is the search engine that has the largest market share in the world. You can’t miss this opportunity to attract new customers!
By opting for a paid ad in Google search results, you can:
- Increase traffic to your website,
- Stabilize position in your industry,
- Increase brand awareness,
- Seriously start your business – even if you’re just starting out,
- Choose the type of advertisement that will be the most effective for your industry, e.g. in text or product form,
- Track your progress to continually improve your campaign and get as much benefit as possible from it.
How to create a Google Ads account?
At the very beginning it is necessary to create an account. Only then will you be able to enjoy the benefits of this powerful tool.
The registration procedure is very simple. Before that, you’ll need:
- Your website address,
- Google account, e.g. Gmail.
Creating an advertising account in the Google Ads network is completely free and very simple. All you have to do is a few simple steps:
- Go to the website: https://ads.google.com
- Log in to your account using your Gmail address
- Complete all required data
- After completing these steps, your advertising account is ready.
- You can start creating your first ad!
Google Ads campaign – a step-by-step guide
The success of a website or online store is something that more and more people dream of. However, to make it possible, you’ll first need to learn how to start a Google Ads campaign.
If you want to take care of the campaign yourself, below you will find instructions on how to do it.
Set a goal for your advertising campaign
Advertising activities are always created for a reason. That’s why you need to think about what you want to achieve with your campaign.
You will then be able to assess whether the achieved effects have enabled you to achieve your goal.
Today, the Google Ads advertising campaign is created for a variety of reasons, but the most common are:
- Willingness to promote a store or website on the web,
- The need to improve the company’s image,
- Promoting the application,
- Gaining or increasing sales contacts,
- Increase of brand or company awareness and recognition.
It is very important to specify exactly what is the goal of your campaign. If you do not set a clear goal, how can you know that you have achieved it?
Select a campaign type
The next step will be to decide what type of campaign you want to start. Google Ads gives you many options, and your choice will directly affect where your ad will appear.
Currently available types of Google Ads advertising campaigns:
- Search Network: This is the most popular type of campaign and you need to create encouraging advertising text. An example is the ad that appears at the very top of the search results.
- Advertising network: Appear on the web and their task is to encourage you to use the service or buy a product. Most often they appear on Google or YouTube or in applications.
- Product: When a user searches for a product that you have in your product range, your advertisement with a photo, name and price will be displayed. In this way, you’ll increase views and conversions.
- Video: As the name implies, it refers to the creation and sharing, e.g. on YouTube of short video ads.
- Application: Created application ads are displayed in various places, e.g. in different applications, Google Play or YouTube.
- Smart: I.E. automatic ads displayed on Google and more. They can take the form of a graphic or text, it all depends on your idea.
Set a target group
The next step when creating advertising campaigns is definitely who exactly it will be targeted at.
Precise definition of who you want to reach will save you, because the ad will not reach everyone, but only to those who may be actually interested in your offer.
When determining the target group, pay attention to the following features:
- Place of residence,
Choose other campaign settings
Next, you’ll need to identify a few important issues related to creating your first Google Ads advertising campaign.
We are talking about its name, location, where the advertisement should be directed, or about the languages used by users.
In addition, you will make a choice regarding where the ad should appear – next to the search results, or on pages viewed by users, applications or when watching movies.
In the settings, choose when the campaign should start and what budget and bids will be optimal for you at the moment. If this is your first campaign, then decide on a lower amount and check the results achieved on a regular basis.
The next very important step is choosing keywords. Here we must determine on which queries our ad should be displayed.
Remember that your ad must be targeted to interested parties. If you sell shoes, then there is no point in advertising the slogan “best pizza”. But how do you choose the best phrases?
Fortunately, Google provides a free tool called Keyword Planner. Thanks to this you can search for keywords and check their statistics. You will also find those phrases that are most often searched.
Build the structure of an advertising campaign
Everyone can create many advertising campaigns. Everything depends mainly on your budget.
Often, companies decide to increase the number of campaigns in order to be able to set the budget and achieve various goals, and thus better control expenses.How does advertising in Google Ads works?
Each campaign may have several ad groups, separated depending on the subject matter they refer to.
For example, if you want to promote sold garden lamps, flower pots and garden furniture, this is how groups should be separated. Be sure to use the keywords that you came up with before and group them correctly.
Create advertising texts
The next step is to come up with advertising texts where you key in the key phrases. The most important are relevant headlines that will first attract the attention of users.
As you type, don’t just suggest keywords, but first and foremost the goal you want to achieve. Be sure to use the language of benefits, which allows you to show the recipients the benefits of your product, and simply put – what you will gain by buying the product.
All information about discounts and the possibility of using the trial version or about free delivery are eagerly clicked. Combine it with so-called call to action, which is a direct call to users to encourage them to click even more.
Is it worth employing a marketing agency to service the advertising campaign?
As you already know, creating an advertising campaign is free. Of course you can do it yourself. However, without experience, you will make mistakes that will result in unnecessary fees being charged.
For example: if you have a restaurant with food delivery, do not advertise where you do not provide services. Remember that Google Ads will display the ads you want and will charge you for it.
It is up to you whether the advertising campaign is well built and will not generate losses. Therefore, most companies use specialized agencies whose task is to get the best results from the campaign.
Believe that the cost of running a campaign by an external agency is much lower than the losses you incur because of wrong campaign settings.
If you are not sure how to get the best results of an advertising campaign, trust the specialists
Google Ads advertising campaigns – summary
Advertising on the Internet is a great tool, but remember that the most important is your product and the appearance of the landing page. If your website is poorly built, full of errors then no ads will help you.
You must be sure that everything works correctly and inspires the trust of users. Before starting an advertising campaign, test everything to make sure everything works well.
Google Ads is a great tool for advertising your services and products. This tool will work in most industries and certainly your company can also benefit from it.
Unfortunately, if the industry is very competitive, then the rates per click will be higher and it will be more difficult to get a favorable return on investment. An experienced marketing & SEO agency can help here.